Fundraising for flood vctims, and a little personal jig dance for myself

So I finished my M.A Part2 exams way back in June & so for all practical purposes, I've nothing to do with my beloved university till the results come out I-don't-know-when.And I've read some books since then- Rushdie's Midnight's Children which was mesmerizing, then Shashi Tharoor's brilliant novel Riot (hey, I thought the guy only tweeted! Ignorant me!), then a non-fiction book by Amitabh Ghosh about Pokhran and nuclear weapons (well, when I bought the book from a railway station platform, I thought I was buying fiction... but anyway, Ghosh is still good, even though he totally flummoxed & disappointed me with the ending of Calcutta Chromosome) & then a Bengali translation (by Rajsekhar Basu) of the Mahabharata- which left me clueless about the roles of fate and free will in the epic, and then, guess what I ended up reading next? The vegetarian vampires cometh, netizens- yess, I've finally read Twilight. Bella - you're the most disgusting, hyper-dull damsel-in-distress that I've ever had the misfortune to encounter in fiction(I think the movie Bella is actually a little better, at least she's not gushing about her angel all the time), Edward- you are what in fanfiction terms would be called a male Mary Sue- perfect to the power of ludicrousness. To be honest, I did enjoy reading the book, as I have enjoyed many Mills&Boons stuff in the past- but for this to be a worldwide sensation? And they actually prefer this over Harry Potter? It baffles me.
Thankfully, I got a chance to recover into reading fantasy via the wonderful Inheritance Series. Christopher Paolini- please write the fourth book soon and send that Stephanie Meyer into oblivion. But everyone should hear Mark Oshiro talk about Twilight- I haven't read his Twilight reviews but he drops enough references in his Harry Potter blogs- check this out-
Mark Reads Harry Potter
And so BigBadMedia (I don't know about big & bad, but they do seem to have a fascination for blowing off people's heads- check the video on their home page) are trying to raise funds for the flood victims in Pakistan by putting together a collection of 50 stories by various writers. The reason behind the jig? I'm one of those 50 writers.
So if you've got time- take a look at this as well.
That's all folks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Winged Creatures and Exit Paths

What if the Universe Was Godless

The Return of the Prodigal