Sayings and Stories



Apologies for the long delay. I have actually been busy with a couple of new projects- first, I bought a new ukulele- meet Polo, everyone, short for Apollonia, named after the Greek god of music- and I have been trying to learn how to play it.


Second, I signed up for the Airplane Poetry Challenge to write 100 Poems in a year. Usually, they give one prompt for every week (I joined in Week 13 so I’m already behind) but April being the National Poetry Month, they’re sending out daily prompts which, what with my daytime job and all the whining I was busy doing after spraining the big toe on my right foot (my theory is it happened while I was running from the alien monsters in my sleep. True story.), I’ve not had much time for the blog. But I’m ready to make amends for that, with what I hope is going to be a long ramble about three of my favourite quotes and a rather fascinating tale.

I'll start off with the story. I found this little gem in the 'Introduction' section of Robert A Johnson's book- Owning Your Own Shadow: Understanding the Dark Side of the Psyche. It's a fascinating book, strongly recommended. Johnson tells us that Carl Jung's favourite story was about the 'Water of Life' that sprung out of some artesian well somewhere. Anybody who drank from that well would be healed and rejuvenated. But as news about the magical properties of the water spread, the important people turned up, fenced the water, set-up a ticketing system and rules about who could drink that water and when. The water, annoyed, changed direction and found an outlet to flow out somewhere else. But the people, so busy with all their rules and systems didn't even notice that the water was no longer there. Eventually, however, the new source was discovered and the same self-important people turned up there as well and set up the whole obtuse paraphernalia till all the magic was lost yet again. And people continued to line up to drink the water that was no longer there, for it was what they had been taught to believe and we are really really afraid to ask questions. And the water found a new site, and so on, and so forth.
(Desire is beauty, beauty truth. Photography by author)

 As allegories on the human condition go, this has to be one of the simplest and profoundest ones I’ve come across. We’re all thirsty, because somewhere, the spring of life has dried up, and failing to, or refusing to notice, we plod on, only dimly aware of an indistinct lack. And the thirst leads to fear, to hatred, to anger, violence, greed and obsession, and sometimes, when all of this fails to disguise the thirst, we notice the gaping desert inside us that we call depression. And because we do not and will not know that the water is gone, we go through life craving for one thing after the other, often finding them, and yet failing to find what we were truly looking for:
“Jaha chai taha bhul kore chai,
Jaha pai, taha chai na.” – Rabindranath Tagore.
 Trust the Grand Old Bard to just casually come up with a statement like that. “What I seek I seek by mistake. What I find is not what I seek.” And may be life is just a series of misunderstood desires, only to be replaced by newer and greater desires, but there is beauty in the seeking. If humans did not desire, there would not be so much violence and jealousy in the world, but if humans did not desire, the world would lose out on so much art and music and poetry. I’ve always found Desire of the Endless (in Neil Gaiman’s Sandman) to be such an enigmatic character. Our desires define and drive us, for the dichotomous nature of desire lies at the very root of our being:
“Humanity lies in the place where the rising ape meets the falling god.”- Terry Pratchett. We are all part of the divine, or the infinite, or the endless or whatever else we may want to call it, and thus the sight of an ocean or a mountain or the flash of a lightning rending a stormy sky creates those unquiet stirrings deep within us, reminding us of a past we have forgotten. And perhaps the aching hole we sometimes glimpse in us comes from light years of space that separates us from the stars we came from, and we cover that up with lesser needs because it is so much easier to be the falling god (even Newton said so) than the rising ape. But even then, despite the pain, we rise. We ask, we seek and we think:

Je pense, donce je suis. –RenĂ© Descartes
I think, therefore I am.

We think, therefore we are human, therefore we are conscious, and we are aware of thirst, and desire and scattered stardust.
But sometimes I think our thoughts exist before we think them, like poetry that is waiting to be written. We just need to reach out and find them, and once again the water of life reveals itself.

Did you like this piece? What are your favourite stories and sayings? Are you participating in NaPoWriMo? Let me know in the comments. And share if you liked reading this.

Other pieces on my blog that you might enjoy reading:


If you want to check out my poetry- you can find it on my Instagram or on my Facebook Page- Ruchira’sRambling. Here is a sample poem:

 And if you’re feeling generous, or if you’re tired of reading, you can find my music on my YouTube channel. For a taster- here is my original song- Dreamers.

Thanks for all the love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perfumes and Lipsticks -friday fiction flash

Meera

New Connections: Social Networking and Writers’ Groups