An Elegy for My Lost Stories

 

 

Image by Nathan Dumlao via unsplash.com

 

When I was fifteen, a friend lent me a book. I hadn’t asked her for it, I didn’t even know she had it, but she lent it to me anyway because she had asked me if I had read it and I told her no, but I wanted to. The book was called Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. To be honest, I didn’t really know how big a deal this book was in late 2002. I had only passingly seen it mentioned once in the weekly children’s page of the English newspaper I used to read as one of those children’s books dismissed and criticized by adults as not real literature. Some months later, there was a review of the film in the Bengali newspaper which said the magic didn’t work because the lead character couldn’t act. (Hey don’t throw stuff at me, okay? I mean, this isn’t even the worst thing they had said about these films in subsequent reviews. I remember when they reviewed the fifth film they actually made up their own plot for it).  And then of course one of my other friends had read the books (the first four, at that point) she would constantly talk about Harry talking to a snake without knowing that he could talk to snakes and going “how can I speak a language without knowing it?”

So long story short, I eventually got my hands on the first book and was immediately hooked. In fact, that would be an understatement. I was sucked into the story and I couldn’t stop reading. When I finished the book in the course of an evening, it felt like a bit like bereavement because it was all over.  I loved all the next books, and reread all seven a few hundred times,  but in my heart of hearts I yearned for the magic of that first read, that sense of being so overpowered by a fictional world that you couldn’t bear to not read and couldn’t bear to leave when you reached the end. I’ve never forgotten how that first reading devoured my being and became my world in half a day, how I dreamt of the corridors at night and how it left an emptiness that ached in its wake.

With Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus, it was the slow-burn of an impossible love, the enchantment of an impossible story, the hollowness you feel when the show is over and you must return to the mundane. I wish I could see that magic circus, just once. Keep time with its wonderful clock. Explore its tents.

I’ve talked about reading Neil Gaiman’s The Sandman before. How I could see the end coming, how I knew how it would end and dreaded finding out, but read on anyway. I hope to revisit that grief in Netflix seasons to come, someday. We really do open ourselves to this suffering, don’t we? But then, as the Doctor would say, the point of being happy now is that you will be sad later. All the stories we love leave a vacuum in the wake of their farewell. And what do choric bystanders do when the main characters have left the stage? They carry on, with the pieces that are left.

Every book, series and movie I’ve ever given my heart to has shaped me in intangible ways into who I am today. Every story that has shaped me has taken pieces of my heart with them. What happens to me when those stories end? When the Doctor regenerates, and the Avengers retire and the Boy Who Lived finds his seventeen years later?

We love stories because they shape our inner worlds. Stories give us the structure and meanings that we fail to find in our shapeless, unwavering everydays, bringing us magic and comfort, helping us trust in wild ideas like love and friendship and everything always adding up in the end.

Lately, it seems, all my stories are ending. Years and years ago, in what almost seems like a different age, I finished reading the seventh Harry Potter book. No more waiting. Far away as I had been from the madness of midnight releases, there would be no more heart-stopping speculations about the future of the people we loved. Yet the movies allowed us to hold on to the magic a little longer, like a lingering goodbye at the doorstep. We bought our tickets- ah those crazy, crazy phone calls of pre-WhatsApp group days, matching schedules and cursing the perpetually late friend because you had all the paper tickets and she couldn’t get in without you- those were fun. When Deathly Hallows Part I ended, we stayed glued to our seats, till someone else from an equally dazed group said- Hey, they won’t start playing Part II if we stayed here. In the summer of 2011, I was travelling. And everywhere I went, there was one poster. Faces I knew and loved, and words that I understood, even without knowing the language: It all ends here.

How the world shifts and stories change, leaving me bereft and longing for bygone times. But then, that’s the charm of stories. They remind us of this fleeting, transitory quality of life itself- often unnoticed in the moment: the coffee-break banters, the stupid in-jokes and backstories known only to prehistoric buddy groups. There were friendships that didn’t last, bitter and painful at the time, but the stories remain etched in memory. They will always be there.

The other day, we went to watch the new Thor film. Fun watch, we laughed, clapped, had all the expected reactions. But after we left the theatre, my friend said she missed the Avengers.  And I knew I agreed. It had not been the same since Endgame. And as much as I love the new Avengers, I will forever miss the banter of the original 6, like I will remember how young and adorable the cast of Stranger Things used to be. The past flows into the present and leads us to the future, and sure, we do our countdowns, we want it to happen. Nobody wants to stay in the past. But we’ll always remember what it used to be, what is gone, and how you were happy when the days were young. Still love it, still miss it, but you’d probably hate it if it stayed too long.

*I’m attending a faculty training programme while also navigating through invigilating exams, grading answer-scripts and prepping for new semester classes, so this post took forever to write. I’ll just leave you with some lovely playlists that you might like.*

Acoustic Reflections: Relaxing Melodies

I Still Believe in Good Music

 Indie Discovery Pool

Find my socials and other links at https://linktr.ee/RuchiraRambles



Image by Katie Moum via unsplash.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perfumes and Lipsticks -friday fiction flash

Meera

New Connections: Social Networking and Writers’ Groups