NaPoWriMo 2019 Day 14



NaPoWriMo 2019 Day 14. Prompt from napowrimo.net: "Our prompt for the day (optional as always) takes its inspiration from Mali’s poem. As he shows us, there many words in English that sound like other words. For that matter, English has lots of words that look like other words, Today, we’d like to challenge you to write a poem that incorporates homophones, homographs, and homonyms, or otherwise makes productive use of English’s ridiculously complex spelling rules and opportunities for mis-hearings and mis-readings.

Hoppy wrothing!"

So far, this has been the hardest prompt for me. It took me several false starts to get this done, and I don't quite like the end product.  In fact, I seriously considered abandoning today's poem altogether but then I remembered that the point of  NaPoWriMo is to write a poem every single day, even if it is a bad poem. One thing I had decided was that I was not going to write a poem complaining about the English language, because that has been done before and would obviously look like a borrowed idea.
So here's this instead. Not my best, but it is a good learning  experience to be challenged outside your comfort zone.
Also, today's the first day of the Bengali New Year, so here's a simple greeting from me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perfumes and Lipsticks -friday fiction flash

Meera

New Connections: Social Networking and Writers’ Groups