NaPoWriMo 2019 Day 19

NaPoWriMo Day 19. Prompt from napowrimo.net: "Today, I’d like to challenge you to write an abecedarian poem – a poem in which the word choice follows the words/order of the alphabet. You could write a very strict abecedarian poem, in which there are twenty-six words in alphabetical order, or you could write one in which each line begins with a word that follows the order of the alphabet."



I'm going to be straight up honest. Didn't enjoy this prompt because everything seemed force.  The second one was the least forced but then I  don't know how much sense it makes.


The trouble with this prompt was for me at least that I had to consider the alphabet before the narrative. And some letters really really don't lend themselves well to a poetic vocabulary. I mean, xylophone, xenophobe, Xerox, X-Ray? Really? Zany and zeitgeist? Still, it's a tough exercise and so hopefully I learned something from it.

One of the first words I thought of with X was Xanadu (all props to ST Coleridge) so the third attempt sort of grew out of that. But I really wish I could have written a more playful poem. Bucket list. Anyway, here's the third and final attempt.
Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perfumes and Lipsticks -friday fiction flash

Meera

New Connections: Social Networking and Writers’ Groups